Sunday, May 11, 2008

Adoring Saturn


Our neighbor Phil shares our passion of the night time sky. He recently set up his GPS/autolocator telescope to find interesting sights, and it was a perfect night for viewing Saturn, even in a ligthed subdivision in Central Texas. We experimented using Katie's new camera by holding it up to the eypiece of his telescope, and with a single click of the camera tells an amazing story of what we can see. We did not fully optimize the shutter opening considering we could see four of Saturn's moons with our own eyes, but the best camera images could show the largest moon, Titan. Even in these images you can see some of the color we saw. I made this montage of some of the clearer images. If you download and image enhance, you would be able to make out Titan a little below and to the left of the smallest Saturn image. Saturn is truly a remarkable sight!

2 comments:

Ilise said...

yeah, that is cool. I got to see it in my astronomy class last semester. I did not think it was real because it was so white. Amazzzing!

Kevin said...

That is pretty cool. How do your kids do with astronomy? I have never spent much time with it but I wonder if the monkey man would be interested.

I love the pregnancy counter. I hope the baby actually arrives at the exact second it shows on the counter.